I sell and install above ground pools on the East Coast (Massachusetts), but I talk to people all over the country. No matter where you are located the cost of installation and set up is about the same. I have written about all the associated fees in this article. Adding all these pieces together is the only way to get a total and accurate above ground pool installation price. Below, I have priced out the cost of building a pool, the electrician, excavation, sand and more.
For a lot more “above ground pool” resources click here.
- Small Round Pools $600.00 – $800.00
- Medium Round Pools $800.00 – $1000.00
- Large Round Pools $1000.00 – $1400.00
- Small Oval Pools $1200.00 – $1500.00
- Large Oval Pools $1500.00 – $2200.00
You can build smaller round pools in a single day, while larger round pools can take two days. Excavation of backyards with an unlevel ground can be done on a separate day to make set up day easier.
Building oval pools take longer and will require more setup work, leveling of the block, squaring the pools straight sides and rounding and squaring the oval ends.
Excavation Cost & Site Work
We include removing sod/grass as excavation work, and it does cost extra. Most people use a small skid steer to remove the lawn and then level the area where they are placing the swimming pool. Difficult digs with lots of rocks will cost more, but below you can get a good idea of prices associated with this work.
- Small Pool Excavation Within 6 Inches Of Grade $180.00
- Small Pool Excavation Within 6-12 inches of Grade $280.00
- Large Pool Excavation Within 6 Inches $180.00 – $280.00
- Large Pool Excavation Within 6-12 Inches $280.00 – $380.00
- Semi-Inground Installation Cost 12 – 36 Inches $600.00 – $1400.00
- Removing Excavated Material By Truck $400.00 – $1200.00
- Backfilling $300.00 – $500
- Clearing Land And Leveling with Skid-Steer $300.00/Per Hour or Half Day Rate $650.00
Pool Base & Patio Block
Building above-ground-pools requires patio block, sand, and sometimes stone-dust. Patio block for under the vertical posts, buttresses, and for the filter pad, and sand to go under your pool liner. Stone-dust is used to either build up and level an area or to cover rocky soil.
- Patio Block & Sand For Small Pools $180.00
- Patio Block & Sand For Large Pools $240.00
- Stone Dust Pads $300.00 – $600.00
Electrical Service For Above Ground Pools
Electricians charge $500.00 – $1200.00 to wire up an above ground pool. Included in the cost should be all supplies and a trench. You will need an 18 inch-trench to run the service from the breaker-box to the pool area. Also, you need to know who is backfilling the electrical-trench after running the wires. Note* Your pump and filter equipment needs to be placed at least 5 feet from the pool wall.
Supplies & Service List
- GFI Breaker
- Bonding of the pool
- Bonding wire
- Bonding plate for water contact
- Proper outdoor plug socket
- Replacing the plug cord on pump if needed
- Clean, neat installation through your home, through the wall and out to the pool
- Backfill trench
Other Pool Installation Expenses
- There will be the cost of pulling a building permit which runs from $50.00 – $150.00
- Water to fill the pool cost $300.00 – $700.00
- Chemicals; Chlorine, Chlorine erosion tablets, Ph increaser, Ph decrease, Alkalinity increaser, Alkalinity decreaser, Calcium, Cyanuric Acid
- Winterizing equipment for those in colder climates
Concluding this cost of professional above ground pools installation section – We can see it is going to cost a minimum of $1900.00 to install a small to average size round pool. Including the building and electrical with all necessary supplies. Do yourself a favor and spend a little extra for an aluminum wall pool, so you are not kicking yourself in a few years.